Monday 8 October 2012

Tuna and Three Bean Burger

I have lived in Brighton for many years and enjoyed this City immensely. But now I am packing my things and moving somewhere alot quieter, somewhere peaceful and remote. 
But more about that later.
Meanwhile I am using up my store cupboard supplies. A little rummage later I have found dried beans and tins of Tuna calling out to me.
This could make a nice Burger me thinks.


Here's how I made it.

Ingredients:
450g Cooked and mashed Beans, (a mixture of Black Beans, Kidney Beans and Cannellini Beans)
1 tin of Tuna in Brine, drained
1/2 red Onion, finely diced
1 garlic Clove, minced
1 long red Chilli, finely diced
1 free range Egg
1 tbs chopped fresh Parsley
zest of 1 Lemon plus a little squeeze of the juice
1 heaped tsp Cornflour
a pinch of Chilli Flakes
a good pinch of Sea salt and fresh milled Pepper
plain Flour for the outside

I cooked my beans from died, by soaking overnight, then cooking in fresh water for 10 minutes on high, then about an hour with a lid on very low. I left them to cool before mashing them with a potato masher, leaving just a few chunky bits here and there for texture.


Mix the mashed beans with the other ingredients in a large bowl, apart from the flour, which will be used for the crust.
Dust the Flour onto a plate. Heat a pan with about 2 tbs of vegetable oil. Shape the mixture with wet hands into 6 palm sized patties and lay them onto the flour. Turn them over once in the flour then they go straight into a hot pan.
 Leave them to cook for about 3 minutes to get a nice crispy outside. Turn over and cook another 3 minutes. Use kitchen paper to drain them on to retain the crispiness.


Serve with some peppery Salad leaves and your favorite Mexican Salsa, Mayonnaise or Chilli Sauce.
For a cheap meal out of the store cupboard, this is really rather good nosh, even if I say so myself ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Wishing you the best with your move. I think this is a great idea and a nice alternative from using red meat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lora, I think if wanted, one could leave out the tuna alltogether and it would still make a nice burger, completely vegetarian :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...