Saturday 20 April 2013

Welsh Faggots with Stout Gravy

I never used to like Faggots after I had the famous brand named ones, they sell in the Store. But a recent cooking program about Wales has made me want to make my own. I know what goes into them that way, and they may just be as yummy as some people claim. My boyfriend says he loves them. So there is another reason for me to make them.


Ingredients:
250g Minced Pork
250g Minced Pigs Liver
100g Breadcrumbs
1 finely diced Onion
1tsp fresh chopped Thyme
a few gratings of Nutmeg
a pinch of hot Paprika
1 pinch of Sage
1 level tsp sea salt
lots of fresh ground Pepper

Mix all the ingredients together and leave to sit for 10 minutes.
The mixture is quite sticky so to shape it into balls, I used a dessert spoon that is dipped in cold water. Place the faggots straight onto a greased baking Sheet. Preheat the Oven to 200C and bake for 20 minutes.


Meanwhile I made a the Stout Gravy.

Ingredients:
100ml Stout
500ml Rich Chicken Stock (or Pork Stock if you can get it)
1 tbs Flour mixed with water
1tsp Ketchup
a splosh of Worcester Sauce
2-3 Spring onions, finely Chopped
a couple of sprigs of fresh Thyme (leafs only)

Bring the Stock and Stout to a boil and stir in the Flour Sloshy. Season with the Thyme, Ketchup and Worcester sauce and add the Spring Onions. Simmer for a few minutes while stirring.


Arrange the Faggots in a Crock Pot and pour over the Gravy. Reheat everything in the Oven and serve with Mashed Potato and Mushy Peas or Green Veg, or both.
Verdict. I love them!

2 comments:

  1. Very nice ingredients and meal as always. Love anything pork. Also I like how you use the stout. I only use it in baking and my mom use it when juicing. Have to share this receipt with my mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our old retired local butcher used to make faggots, but the young ones don't these days. A really good meal for cold winter days and a large family gathering. Diolch yn fawr. Danke. Thanks for reminding me of this old favourite as well as the recipe! Instead of paprika, I add a good pinch each of ground allspice and ground bayleaf, but that is getting difficult to source. Faggots are extremely versatile though, and can be made "Italian" or "Indian" or "Thai" so are ideal for party food. I must say I'm looking forward to working through your blog, not least because my personal circumstances are the other way around! I hope you are not affected by Brexit or the increasing xenophobia in Britain and can continue collecting such a rich range of recipes! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...