Saturday 7 December 2013

Pissaladiere

This Southern French pastry is a bit like a pizza as it does have a pizza base, but there is no cheese or tomato in sight. Just packed full of flavourful sweet onions topped with savoury olives and anchovies.
I discovered it while in Nice at the Cote Azure, in a Supermarket. I bought it, tried it and was smitten with it. Here is my easy recipe.


Ingredients:
2 ready mix Pizza Base mixtures
About 1kg Onions, sliced
2 Garlic Cloves, sliced
About 10 good black Olives, pitted and halved
1 small tin of Anchovies, oil discarded and filets sliced in half lengthways
A generous glug of Olive Oil
Fresh Thyme, Salt, Sugar and Pepper


Prepare the ready make Pizza dough as the instructions tell you on the packet. That's the easy part. You can of course make one from scratch if you like.
While the dough is proving, start to sautee the Onions and Garlic in the olive oil. Use a large enough pan on a medium heat. This process should take about half an hour. Keep tossing the onions every now and then and be patient. Season with a little Salt, Pepper and Sugar.


Once the dough has proven roll it into a large rectangle and shape it onto a baking tray pushing the edges up a little at the sides.
Fill this base with the sautéed onions, sprinkle with the fresh Thyme and garnish with the Anchovies and Olives.


Now of course it is ready for the oven. Bake the Pissaladiere at a fairly high heat (200C) for about 20 minutes or until the base has turned lovely and golden on the sides and it looks deliciously ready.
Cut into squares and enjoy hot, warm or cold.


2 comments:

  1. I've made this recipe, but the anchovies freaked out the family. I revised it a touch by flouring the anchovies and sautéing them in olive oil until crisp and sprinkling them over onions-then adding olives. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness, I must say I love this recipe. I love any type of seafood pizza and thin crust is a winner in my book, especially onion and garlic. I am not a fan of olive, but I am a fan of this recipe. A must try!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...