Thursday 22 March 2012

The Hulhule Airport Hotel

I do enjoy going out by myself. A warm fuzzy feeling of freedom to do as I please, when and where I want to do it. Today I decided that it would be on of those evenings. I catch the boat from Male to the Airport Island Hotel Hulhule, just 10 minutes across the gorgeous turquoise Indian ocean, on this charming little ferry, carrying passengers free of charge to and fro. There is a charming young Maldivian boatsman, seemingly working every single day of his life on this boat. On some occasions when I had a few beers and a couple more, I got him to pose with me in pictures. He always smiles when I get on or off the boat and I grin back, slightly embarrassed.  I must ask him his name some day.
So little ferry aside, what's the lowdown on the hotel? To be honest I cannot tell you anything about the state of the rooms or service within, as I have never stayed here, but what I can tell you is, that the Tandoori Night themed evening by the pool and Bar makes for a nice and unexpected surprise .


Normally a visit to Hulhule is solely for the purpose of getting a beer or such like, as Male itself is a 'dry' Island and doesn't of course serve these little indulgences. For local workers and us tourists, who stay in Male, this is the preferred meeting place for a sundowner.
So when they start setting up their Tandoori cart and oven right next to the pool, the taste buds light up on a foodies mind like mine. Fresh reef fish marinated in the chefs own mixture of exotic spice and traditional Indian favourites are freshly prepared as you watch (if you're not to busy chatting).
I've not frequented India very much in my travels (yet), so for me having tasted a freshly prepared Nan Bread from this very side of the pool oven was an amazing revelation. A bit like a real Neapolitan pizza, it's all about the dough. So fresh and chewy, soft with edges of subtle crunch, simply Nan perfection. Talking of which, they also do an awesome Maldivian Tuna Pizza here. Super tasty and spicy, with little Maldivian Bullet Chillies!
Tonight I treated myself to a whole Reef Fish Barbecued in the Tandoor Oven. Apart from the slight lack of condiments (after one mouthful they were  gone) I was very pleased indeed.  The chef's marinade has given the Fish a lovely kick, just enough to tease, but not burn. This little beauty has cost me $25 which is way more expensive then you'd expect to pay on Male Island, but the novelty of watching it cook right next to me made it well worth it.


Ok I guess I better get some facts up here for you also. If you consider staying at this hotel, say you have an early flight to catch and need to leave your resort island, then do. Even if Hulhule Airport Hotel has a spa and a pool, this ain't no place for a holiday in the Maldives. It's pure convenience, but a nice one at that.

Here is the Hotel Website:
http://www.hih.com.mv/




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...