Thursday 3 May 2012

Egyptian Chicken Molokeya

When we used to go to Sharm El Sheik I was looking to find a typically Egyptian Dish. In a small Supermarket I had an embarrassing moment where I dropped a spice Jar and the friendly store keepers came instantly to clean up the mess. While this was happening I was holding a bag of a dried green herb in my hand. I had no idea what it was but as I was standing there red faced, I decided maybe I will buy this bag, whatever it maybe. Turns out it is the main ingredient of a much loved dish in Egypt. 
Molokeya.


Here is the Recipe:
Quarter a small Chicken and place into a stock pot along with a quartered Onion, 1 tsp Peppercorns, 1 tsp Salt, 1 Cinnamon Stick and a sprig of Thyme.
Cover with cold Water, bring to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes.
Strain the Broth and measure out 1 litre.



Ingredients for the Molokeya
(serves 4)

1/2 Pack Yews Mallow (I got the dried one, but frozen would be prefered)
1tbs Coriander Seeds
4 Cloves Garlic, minced
2 tbs Olive Oil
1litre of the Chicken Broth


Toast the Coriander Seeds in a dry Pan, then grind in a Pestle and Mortar.
Take the Chicken Pieces out of the Stock and place on a roasting tray to be finished in the Oven.
Sprinkle with Sumak for an extra dimension.
Turn the Oven to high and brown the Chicken Pieces to a nice colour.
Return the Chicken Stock to the Pot and bring back to simmering point.
Add the Yews Mallow and with minimum stirring, then simmer for 20 minutes on the lowest of heats. (If it was frozen Yews Mallow it doesn't need simmering long)
Heat the Olive Oil with the ground Coriander and minced Garlic until it turns brown and sizzling but not burning.
Pour the Spice Oil into the Molokeya with a sizzling noise just before serving and stir once.



Serve the Molokeya in a bowl with Rice, Salad, the Chicken and a Lemon Wedge.
Spoon the Molokeya over the Rice and then squeeze the Lemon all over.
It is a very interesting taste and texture, unlike anything I have had before, but I can see how it has become so beloved even amongst men who don't like to eat their greens :-)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...