Sunday 6 May 2012

Mecklenburger Stuffed Pork

Now here is something you don't see very often. A German Recipe...
Yes, we know French, Italian, Mexican and Chinese Cuisine and probably can all name a few of our favourite dishes from each. But what do we know about German cuisine?
I knew it. Bratwurst and Sauerkraut.


Here is a bonus picture of the Castle from my Hometown Schwerin :-)
I am on a mission to educate the world (well mainly the British actually) about some interesting dishes from my heritage. This one you can probably only find in Auntie Helga's Backyard Restaurant in Northern Germany. It is a very regional dish from the area I was born in, Mecklenburg. Once Helga is no more I fear this dish will also disappear. Maybe you would like to try it before and discover it is really very yummly.


Ingredients for the Pork and Stuffing:
3 thick sliced Pork Loin (another cut can be used and stuffed whole or as individual Portions as I am doing today)
1 Apple (from Neighbour's Garden)
Zest of 1 Lemon
1 small tsp Natural Sugar
a pinch of Cinnamon
5 Pitted Prunes
30g Breadcrumbs
Salt and Pepper


To make the stufing, cut the prunes and apple into small dice and mix with the breadcrumbs, Sugar, Cinnamon and Lemon Zest.


How are your butchering skills? No good? Get the Butcher to do it!
Make an incision on one side of the Pork and cut a cavity like that of a Pita bread into each Chop.
Try to leave a small incision but make a good cavity, without cutting through any other sides.
Fill the stuffing mix into the Pork Chops and secure the opening with a wooden toothpick.
My Grandma, would have used needle and thread and sown the whole thing up. Especially if it was a bigger Joint!
Season the Chops now with Salt and Pepper ready to roast.


Ingredients for the Sauce:
1/2 Onion, chopped
1/2 Carrot finely diced
1/2 Leek (the white part) chopped
a small piece of Celeriac Root, finely diced
500ml Beef Stock
1tsp Tomato Puree
a sprig of Thyme
1tbs Plain Flour to thicken


Fry the Pork Loins on both sides until nicely browned, then remove from the pan and rest on a plate.


Add the chopped vegetables to the pan and sautee, scraping all the bits from the pan that have stuck to the bottom. Use a little stock to deglace and keep sauteeing until everything is getting a nice colour. Take your time to do this as it will enhance the depth of flavour of the Sauce.
Pour in the Stock and bring back to a simmer, before returning the Pork.
Place this into a 200 degree Oven and roast without a lid for 45 minutes. Turn the meat over half way. If it was a bigger Joint, keep turning and basting a few times and increase the cooking time.


Take the Chops out and leave them to rest on a plate. Cover them with tin foil to keep warm.
Sprinkle a tablespoon of Flour into the sauce and mix it in with a whisk.
Once thickened, taste and see if it needs any more seasoning.
I have to say the sauce is so rich and full of flavour, absolutely divine!
Push the Sauce through a sieve (is what my Grandma would have done) or like me, use a blender to puree the vegetables and make it smooth.


Serve this dish with Braised Red Cabbage and boiled Parsley Potatoes.
This is what it looks like once cut into it... I think this might be my new favourite way to eat Pork Chops! Long live Helga the patron of all proper German Food.


1 comment:

  1. Jana, I think you just made my husband a happy man. I will plan to make this sometimes this month or next!

    Funny I seen something almost like this I have bookmarked in a cookbook I have. It is call Gefullte Schweine Kotelletts. The method is almost the same. I will post it when I make it so that you can see, but I like your filling and how thick your meat is to hold the filling.

    P.S. your home castle look beautiful and huge!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...