Monday 7 May 2012

Seafood Market Restaurant Bangkok

While I was on my food discovery tour of Bangkok, I felt like a pilgrim when I followed in the footsteps of my Foodie Heroes, Anthony Bourdain and Rick Stein and visited the Seafood Market Restaurant. If it swims we have it.... is their motto. Not strictly true but they come pretty close.


Just like them I was intrigued by the style of shopping/eating experience that is offered here.
First I get to take a shopping trolley, well my personal shopping assistant took it for me.


Then I went to choose fish and seafood from the fish counter and next add some veggies from the vegetable corner.


By the way I don't recommend Sea Cucumber. I had it in Hongkong once and it was eugh.


Then I took my trolley to the check out and paid for my stuff.
Next I was seated, shopping trolley still in tow, on one of the restaurant tables. A waiter comes along and has a little chat with me about how I might like my chosen seafood prepared. He does of course make recommendations on which maybe the best way. The cooking is charged extra of course.
While I wait I have a Beer and take in the strange atmosphere. It feels a little like an aquarium with an overkill of neon lights. Kitschy but in an amusing way.


Meanwhile my food is being prepared in the open air kitchen...


I had BBQ cockles as recommended by my waiter, with a peanut and chilli dip. In my opinion this method does not extract the most flavour from these juicy little fellows. Steaming them may have been better, but hey ho.


I also had some stir fried Water Spinach with Garlic and the piece de resistance a whole deep fried Thai Halibut with a sweet and spicy topping.



It would make much more sense to visit this restaurant with a group of people and have a big spread of dishes to share. But then again that would be the best case scenario in any Thai Restaurant.
All in all I am glad I have had the experience. Would I come again? No. Would I recommend you come here? Absolutely! Just because it is great fun.
Be prepared however to pay about 1000 Baht or more per person for a meal here. 

Here is a link to their website: http://www.seafood.co.th/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...