Sunday 13 May 2012

Mutton Nihari

When I first came to the United Kingdom, I lived in Abbey Wood, which is in South East London. Not knowing anything much about the UK, I assumed that this was the normal sort of living standard all over the City and I loved living there. There was however a neighbourhood nearby, that is probably famous for being one of the most undesirable places to live. I used to say I would never drive a Ford, because that would be like living in Plumstead. Yes, you guessed it, it is Plumstead, the place where even Kilroy wouldn't want to go.
The other day when I was on one of my lately very favoured visits to London, my friend took me to an Indian Cafe called 'Ambala' in Plumstead High Street. He had told me about it before and praised it for it's authentic and unconventional food.


Well, I'm not gonna lie, I was indeed impressed, not with the restaurant, but with it's food. We had the most amazing sizzling Lamb chops and a dish called Nihari. It contained the most soft and juicy morsels of meat in a delicious rich gravy. We asked what the meat was and it turned out to be Mutton Calf Muscle. A not very appetising sounding part, but when cooked slow and low, one that turns into the most tender cut. So the moral of the story? The best food can often be found in places that you didn't really want to go. I had to recreate this dish! And after a little research I have created my recipe here:


Ingredients:
750g Mutton Meat
3 Marrow Bone Pieces (I used Lambs Feet, you'll be disgusted to know)
1 tbs Ginger Paste
1 tbs Garlic Paste
1 Onion, chopped
1 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Ground Turmeric
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg
3 Black Cardamon
1 tsp Fennel Seeds
2 Star Anise
1 tsp Ground Ginger
1 tsp Black Pepper
1tsp Tomato Paste
170g Yoghurt
1 tbs Vegetable Oil
Water
Salt
1tbs Flour mixed with a little water (for thickening the gravy)
Garnishes:
Fresh Coriander Leaves
Fresh Chilli, sliced
Fresh Ginger, cut into thin strips


Grind any whole Spices in a Pestle and Mortar then combine with the ground spices.
Start by browning the meat in a large pot. Remove the meat and keep it aside while frying the 'massala' (the spice mixture). Start with the Onions, once they turned golden add the other spices. Fry fry fry, then add the Garlic and Ginger Paste and Tomato Paste. Fry some more until everything is nice and fragrant. 


Add the Yoghurt and let it bubble with the spices for a minute or two. Return the meat to the pot and add the bones as well. These will give a lovely rich depth to the dish.
Now add enough Water to just cover everything and season with salt to taste.
Bring everything to a simmer, cover and cook on a very low heat for 3 hours.


I spooned off the oily film that has risen to the top, but that's optional. To finish turn up the heat and stir in the Flour slushy to thicken the gravy. Sprinkle in the Garnishes and simmer for another couple of minutes. As always with every dish, check the seasoning before serving and adjust if needed. 
Accompany with Rice or Naan Bread and a Vegetable Side Dish of your choice.


Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Jana, this recipe looks so amazing, I'm going to try and make it as well.
    Love your photos as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy, the sunshine today has helped with the pictures ;-)
      Let us know how yours turns out.

      Delete
  2. This looks Delicious, Jana! hopped on over from the food court :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ansh, for hopping over :-) and for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  3. Hello Jana, hopped over from The Food Court! What a lovely dish over there...drool! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...