Wednesday 4 April 2012

Classic Chipotle Steak

I bought a tin of Chipotle Chillies when I was in Cancun last year. Yesterday Nancy in her blog Nancy's Locally International Cuisine posted a recipe using these Chillies and I realised; it's about time that I used mine!
So last night I took my Farmers Choice Skirt Steak out of the freezer and today I went ahead with creating my recipe.

Chipotle is a traditional smoked Jalapeño Chilli Pepper from Mexico. They have lately become very popular all over the Americas. Once smoked the Chillies will be dry and need rehydrating before they can be used. Which is why I find it much more convenient to use them ready to go from a tin with Adobo Sauce.

There is a Classic way to marinate a cheap cut like Skirt or Flank in a Chipotle marinade. However after researching the subject a little more in depth, I came across many different 'Classic' ways.
So I think I may as well call mine Classic, even though it's a first time creation for me :-)

So here are the Ingredients:
(serves 2, but multiply if doing more)

1 Skirt or Flank Steak (mine were 2 small ones, but a large one works just the same), 
Marinade:
2 Chipotle Chillies, from a tin in Adobo Sauce
1 Garlic Clove, chopped roughly
1 tsp Mexican Oregano
1 tsp Olive Oil
1 tsp Honey
Juice of 1 Lime
a pinch of Salt and Pepper


Place all the Marinade ingredients into a small blender and whizz till smooth. if you multiply the amounts to make a larger quantity, it can be kept in the fridge for quite a while.
Spread the marinade over the Meat and leave to marinade for about 1 hour in the fridge.
Take the meat out and let it come to room temperature before cooking.



Heat your grill or broiler or BBQ to high and place the steak onto it. Cook for about 5 -7 all together, turning every minute. Brush the steak with more of the remaining marinade as you go.
Then leave it to rest for 5 minutes before carving into thin slices. It's important to carve across the fibres or grain as it is called.





Serve with a refreshing Tomato and Coriander Salsa and Guacamole. Beans also make a great accompaniment.


My Verdict: The Chipotle really pack a punch, but make for a beautifully meaty and juicy steak. I am not sure if it was the marinade or the steak or the way I carved nicely across the fibres, but this was the juiciest Skirt Steak I have ever had. Good on you Classic Chipotle Way!

1 comment:

  1. This is a great recipe Jana, really looks delicious and thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...