Friday 27 April 2012

Oriental Meatballs in Hoisin Broth

It is unlike me but I don't have a story to tell about this one. It's just a really satisfying little lunch aromatic with oriental flavours. Very easy, tasty and good for you, so just enjoy!


Ingredients:
(serves 3 @ 5 WeightWatchers Points)
250g Minced Pork
180g Minced Chicken Breast
1 Litre Chicken Stock 
(I made mine yesterday, but good quality ready made is fine)
3 Chinese dried Shitake Mushrooms (soaked in hot water for 1/2 hour)
1 Pak Choi, divided into sections
1 Carrot, cut into slithers with a peeler
1 large Spring Onion, sliced diagonally
a few Coriander Leaves
a few Vietnamese Mint Leaves
1 tsp Ginger, shredded
1 tbs Hoisin Sauce
5 Spice Seasoning
1 tbs Soy Sauce
1tsp Sesame Oil





Bring the Chicken Stock to a simmer in a large Pot. Remove the Mushrooms from their soaking Water and add the water to the pot. This contains a lot of Umami, the special moreish flavour.
Mix together the Pork and Chicken and season with Five Spice, Pepper, Salt and Soy sauce, Shape about 15 little Meatballs from this mixture.
Once the Stock is simmering stir in the Hoisin Sauce and add the Meatballs. Poach them for about 7 minutes on a low heat without a lid.


Then add the Vegetables in together with the
 Sesame Oil and Ginger. Just a little word for the dried Chinese Shitake Mushrooms, Even after they have soaked, some bits like the stalk remain really tough, I only use the soft parts, that I slice thinly for this soup. Check the seasoning and add a little more Soy sauce if necessary.
Cover and simmer for just a couple of minutes.


Finally Sprinkle in the Coriander and Vietnamese Mint Leaves just before serving or better still use them just as a garnish for each bowl.
Bon Apetit!


4 comments:

  1. I really like this soup. I so need to get out of my comfort zone and add two or more meat type together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this soup, it reminds me of "Lion Head Meatballs" Great photos Jana and I love the orange cast iron pot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to try this, minus the mushrooms ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...