Wednesday 4 April 2012

Tom Yum with Fish and Magic Sauce


Here I am recreating one of the great dishes I have eaten on my foody tour to Bangkok. The Sauce I do not know the name of, but for me, it makes the dish. I had been going to this little gem of a Restaurant for the past couple of days and the people working there recognised me now. As my purpose for my visit to Bangkok was to taste the real Thai Food, I always ordered a couple of dishes, to get as much tasting done as possible. Not just because I'm greedy :-)
So one of the guys noticed how much I was enjoying the food and he came over with  this little dish  of green sauce.  He said: 'Add it to the Tom Yum' and with a grand gesture skywards:  'It will give it a lift!' 
What can I say,.I have to thank that nice man, it was the best discovery on the whole trip. Tom Yum will never be the same.


Ingredients for the Tom Yum:
1 whole cleaned large Gurnard, cut into chunky steaks
4 Lemongrass sticks, bruised and sliced into 1 inch pieces
1 small Galangal root, sliced
6 long dried roasted Chillies
2 long red fresh Chillies, crushed in a pestle and mortar
6 Kaffir Lime Leaves, torn
6 tbs Fish Sauce
2 Limes (juiced)
1 tbs Coriander stalks 
1 tbs Coriander Leaves
3 Mushrooms, quartered
3 Cherry Tomatoes, quartered


Place the Fish into a pot and cover with Water. Add the Fish Sauce, Galangal, Lemongrass, Dried Chillies, Kaffir Lime Leafes and Coriander Stalks and bring to a simmer. Do not cover the pot with a lid to keep the broth nice and clear.
Once simmering turn down the heat and cook until the fish is done (about 5-7 minutes). 
Lovingly remove any scum that rises to the top with a spoon.
Add the Tomatoes and Mushrooms and turn off the heat. Leave to rest for a minute or 2 before adding the crushed Chillies, Coriander leaves and Lime Juice, then serve straight away.


Crush the fresh Chillies in a pestle and Mortar, to release the colour and flavour.

Ingredients for The Magic Sauce:
Place into a Blender...
2 Limes (juice of)
1 tbs Fish Sauce
1 tbs Palm Sugar
2 tbs Coriander, fresh
...blitz until smooth and the Magic is done.
This is my new favourite condiment and it goes fantastically with fish :-)

I had my Tom Yum with some steamed Rice and Cucumber slices (they are for cooling down a mouth on fire)
To eat the Soup, place the Fish on your plate, remove the centre bone, then place the fish filet on top of the rice, add a spoonful of Magic Sauce and enjoy! 
Try adding a little Magic Sauce to the Soup also to give it the all important lift and fresh kick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...